Story time is a great opportunity for quality time with your child and should be part of your regular routine (whether straight after breakfast or as part of the bedtime routine).
5-10 minutes is best as it shouldn't become a chore. The goal is the develop language & imagination whilst fostering a love of stories and reading.
Here are some ideas for questions or prompts you may ask during story time.
Before reading the book:
- Can you point to the title? Or What is this? (pointing to the title)
- What do you think this story will be about?
- What might happen in the story?
- Is this like any other stories we’ve read?
During the reading of the book:
- What is happening in the pictures?
- What has happened so far?
- How are they feeling?
- What might happen next?
- How do you think the story might end?
- Is he/she friendly/ mean/nice…?
At the end of the book:
- Did you like this book? Why? (Encourage children to develop their opinion about books by encouraging them to explain their reasons)
- What was your favourite part? Why?
- What was the most interesting/ exciting part of the book? Can you find it?
- What sort of character was….? Why did that character do… (give a situation/ event from the story)?